Some Wynton Marsalis to set the mood.
No job searching of any real importance to report. Heard back from a couple preliminary people. Need to send more emails and get more grad school stuff in order for when I apply later. It's raining hard out, and just started, thought it's been threatening all day. Feels good to have a summer rain.
Spent today helping Grandma get ready for the big bi-annual "Sexy Sassy Singles" party (formerly called the "Wednesday Night Widows Group," no joke.) They're a growing group (sadly, I suppose) of about thirty ladies over sixty-- most over seventy. These women are the core group of Fincastle, virtually the entire "old(er) lady network" that all of us in the know have come to view as the brains and tactfully used brawn that operates the county, or rather the men who THINK they run things. Need your car fixed? Somebody's grandson is a mechanic. Need high power electrical run to your basement for a pottery kiln? Grandma knows a relatively distant-but-longtime neighbor and sweet talks him into coming to look at the situation... for free... on a Saturday morning. (Heaven forbid) Have a death in the family? Twenty some grey-haired ladies will be at your door in less than 24 hours, each with a delicious "covered dish." I think you get the picture. These chicks run things, pull strings, and all-in-all p0wn Fincastle.
Anyway, every other year (or thereabouts) Grandma has all the girls over for a potluck. This has become a more difficult production, not just because of more people, but because she can't get around as well anymore. "doesn't have as much 'oomph' as she used to" she would say. So I've been running around, making diet puddings, moving card tables up from the basement, helping pick out flowers, that kind of thing. It's been a relatively enjoyable respite from sitting at the computer.
The big day is tomorrow, so I'd better get some rest. Going to have to watch my cousin as well, school let out Monday and I'll have to keep him out of trouble while we clean and get things ready. there should be an AWESOME tasty home cooking reward though, they really bring out the rich stuff for potlucks. I am planning to forgo lunch tomorrow. I think it will be a wise move.
Until tomorrow, rest easy folks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So I just found out last night (via Claire) you AND Karine have blogs too. Which is excellent because now I have even more things to read and entertain me at work. Claire described your entries as very "Meredith-like." And indeed they are. I enjoyed them very much.
I'll probably shamelessly copy you three and start my own at some point. Because I am quite unoriginal and easily influenced by others.
ANYWAYS, your Grandmother's party sounds kind of awesome. Hope you have fun with it!
Post a Comment