Thursday, June 14, 2007

pavlova season/bunny

Well, some news to report. I was very excited when I stopped by the earliest-to-ripen black raspberry vine on my way to the garden today for a few nibbles. It seems the first ones are beginning to ripen on the neighboring vines, which can only signal one thing: the beginning of Pavlova Season. First is the black raspberries, then the wineberries, then blackberries and fresh peaches from the orchaird stand. Mmmmm, I am excited. And with the wonderful slow rain we've had the last couple days and the nitrogen-producing night thunderstorms (and the sunny warm period coming up,) conditions are perfect for plumping and ripening the perfect berries, maybe even in time for Father's Day!
When I got to the garden I took my time planting and discovered a lot of volunteer dill plants starting, and piled rocks around them so we wouldn't step on them. Then I planted some green beans and started digging the row for the 'bush' watermelon seeds when the kitty came to see me. She was all excited to get scratched, and I did a little but my hands were all muddy so I went back to work. She got bored, apparently, and I saw her start towards the tree. A bunny ran away, the same one I'd seen when I first got into the garden, and she abandoned chase. She turned though, and started hopping high over the grass. It was really funny & cute. All until I heard the horrid squeal. I screamed "Cammie! No!" but I couldn't see her. Then she came out of the grass, tail high, holding a still very alive and squirming animal. She was bringing it towards me and I thought it might have been a rat; a very large & upset rat. But as I lunged at her with a stick, I saw that it was a baby bunny, a pretty big one. I was flustered and yelling more than acting as she alternately/confusedly came towards me (offering me the bunny) and backed away as I waved the stick. Anyway I got my wits about me shortly and chased her more effectively. I don't remember if I whacked her or not but she let go-- not before she paused and I am pretty sure snapped it's neck. It got away and kicked helplessly for a bit while I wondered what to do with this poor animal. I thought it might likely die before I got it to a shelter, but I didn't have to wait long because it stopped kicking after just a few seconds. Cammie seemed pleased with herself, and I went to finish planting the melons, and when I went back it was definitely dead. Now, I wasn't sure if I should eat it or leave it alone, and I opted for leaving it alone. Anyway I'm not sure how I feel about it. Not exactly the capoff for a relaxing hour of gardening & walking around I had expected.

No comments: