...full of delicious, tasty, scrumptious down-home cooking. (I have not been this full since I was a kid. I seriously felt ill at one point. it was awesome.) After a day of hard work and some frazzle (Grandma's 'cleaning helper' didn't show up til an hour before people started arriving,) I reaped the benefits. A list is in order.
There was:
-Three kinds of fried chicken; including home-made, tenders of unrecognisable origin, and KFC bucket.
-A chicken casserole
-A creamy, cheesy hash brown casserole
-Scalloped potatoes
-New potatoes and green beans (the old-fashioned flat kind, likely home canned)
-Baked Beans
-Deviled eggs; two kinds (with and without relish)
-Potato Salad
-Steamed buttered Asparagus
-Pasta salad; three kinds ('regular' with mayo and pepper, one with meat and cheese and veggies, and the best one with bowtie pasta and fresh basil and tomatoes and asparagus.)
-"Asian" cooked veggie salad
-Fresh pineapple and papaya
-Black Cherry Jell-o salad, really good with real black cherries and fresh mandarin orange slices.
-Waldorf Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing instead of mayo
And we bought:
-Cole Slaw & rolls
And we made:
-Pulled pork BBQ
Dessert:
-Chocolate Eclaire "Casserole?", mint flavor. Sorta like a non-fruit trifle, but in a baking dish.
-Raspberry Pie, storebought but delicious
-Fresh Fruit with dip (beautiful fruit, one of the ladies owns a local orchiard of good repute & often brings this kind of thing, says Grandma)
-'Fancy' Diet Puddings that I made, more on that later.
-Apple Pie, HOMEMADE CRUST, CINNAMON & BROWN SUGAR CRUMB TOPPING omg. so good.
Drinks:
-Iced tea
-Five kinds of wine (and apparently just one kind is a tad too much for a stomach that's been empty since 10 AM in preparation for ritual engorgement...)
-Coffee with dessert
Everything was homemade unless I indicated otherwise. I think you can see why I was excited.
Oh, so the diet puddings. I made them the night before in these nice little clear cups Grandma uses, and put a vanilla wafer in the bottom of each one, followed by a chocolate layer, a vanilla layer, and a dusting of cocoa. They did look pretty. Anyway, apparently word got around, and everyone was congratulating me on the delicious puddings. Everyone meaning about four times? Anyway, it was funny. That and the meat. Everyone liked the barbeque; the ladies were sated. So we did well, and Grandma looked much less tired than she sometimes does, which was good, since that was the goal of helping her out in the first place. All in all, a successful day, and a successful party, and I even saved over 100 dollars by switching my car insurance to Progressive. Really, I did. *(but only for six months, apparently the 'quote' they gave me included a 'one time only' discount of fifty bucks.)
Anyway, a successful day. And now for a successful night, if I can just figure out where I put those Mylanta tablets...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment