Sunday, July 27, 2008

Floydfest

It was awesome! Not only did I get to see the bands I wanted to, but some of the best ones I saw I wasn't even planning on seeing! There was a great Senegalese hip-hop band, and Oliver Mtukudzi from Zimbabwe, who made me dance with relative abandon in a sea of 50-something hippies. I saw some awesome folks at the "crooked road all-stars" show, including the winner of Myrle Fest's Guitar competition and the Mandolin player who won best overall performer at Galax in 2005. Freaking awesome. I was a bit disappointed though because it seemed the group that was supposed to come on at 10 didn't show, and they were really talking it up. I was praying that Ralph Stanley was gonna roll up in a limo or something, and then I would be forced to pee in my pants. Who showed up instead was a folklorist from the Smithsonian, dressed in some kind of red and gold elvis-superhero costume. he was actually pretty entertaining though so I was pleased.
I saw Crooked Still, who was awesome. I parked next to and quickly made friends with a "Hoorah Clogger" from Blacksburg, who was a little creepy and invited me to do some impromptu yoga in the middle of a crowd. I "passed" on account of the "grass", haha.
they had all kinds of veg-food, including vegan CORN DOGS which I was eyeing earlier but like "eww, ground meat" since I thought they were real. All kinds of neat vendors to watch. I had personally brought a taco bell burrito and my own drink in, so I was set, but I couldn't resist the smell of freshly made, off the griddle waffle cones and ice cream, and I have to say it was delicious.
There was so much more to see I would love to go back next year and do the whole weekend with camping, so I did not have to worry about driving home at 12 and could stay for the wilder up-till-three bands, etc. Lots of good acts on Friday as well I could catch. The whole atmosphere was so chill and relaxed I would like to spend more time in it. I plan on going back!

No comments: